Areas of Law / Employment

We spend the majority of our lives at work – so when something goes wrong in the workplace, or you think you have been unfairly treated, you need expert legal advice at the earliest opportunity to ensure that your rights are protected.

Employment law is very fast moving and complicated, and very few people have a clear idea of their rights at work. Our employment lawyers can advise on a wide range of work related matters including;

  • Bullying at work
  • Discrimination
  • Pay Disputes
  • Redundancy
  • Unfair dismissal

Our employment lawyers can also offer advice on the nicer side of employment law, such as helping you negotiate your contract for that dream job.

Still looking for answers?
Whether you need advice on something you can’t find on the site, or to clarify a query – just ask one of our legal advisors today. Simply write your question in the box and our lawyers will handle the rest. It really is that easy.

Free employment legal advice at your fingertips.

Employment Questions

I work in a hotel, which has taken to installing covert CCTV cameras in order to monitor and video the activities of staff at work. Surely covert CCTV monitoring is an infringement of our human rights?

My employer wants to cut my contracted holiday entitlement by one day to save money. Is he allowed to do this?

My daughter and I work in a pub which has a history of trouble and we were recently caught up in a fight. The pub chain has recently cut down on security. I wondered whether we could sue for the mental effects of dealing with such situations on a fairly regular basis?

When I got my job 11 years ago I told them I was seven years younger than I actually am! I’ve had to keep up the pretence all this time, but I will be 66 next year and although I won’t have to retire my national insurance contributions will cease and my tax code will change. Is fibbing about your age a sackable offence?

We have an employee who has worked for the firm for 28 years, but he has been off sick 12 months and the firm’s doctor says he is no longer capable of doing his job. We want to end his employment on medical grounds. Will we have to offer him different work?

Recently you said that, as far as the law is concerned, workers only become entitled to a 20 minute tea break after they’ve worked longer than six hours. Should the break be paid or unpaid?

I have been working for a man who runs several market stalls for more than a year and I’ve yet to receive a pay slip. He keeps promising to sort this out, and insists he is paying my tax and national insurance contributions, but I wonder whether this is true. What should I do? I get £150 for three nine-hour days.

A colleague and I work for a small firm on average three nights a week, but at Easter we had no work for three weeks. Are we entitled to holidays or bank holidays? We don’t get anything at the moment.

We run a small family business and started using casual labour eight years ago. I kept records of payments made and submitted these to the Inland Revenue via our accountant. We have now had a demand for seven years’ unpaid tax, amounting to over £20,000.

Our service is completely free and we can help you.

Ask your question now

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms