Areas of Law / Employment

We run a small family business and started using casual labour eight years ago. I kept records of payments made and submitted these to the Inland Revenue via our accountant. We have now had a demand for seven years’ unpaid tax, amounting to over £20,000.

In Inland Revenue terms this is a question of “status”: whether your “casuals” were employed or self-employed. If you can argue that your casuals are in fact self-employed they should pay their own tax, although this should have been sorted out eight years ago. The first step is to ask the inspector for an explanation of his decision in writing. You can always appeal, but you would then be advised to see either an accountant specialising in tax or a suitably experienced solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms