Areas of Law / Child Law

Child Law Questions

How can I find out whether my name was put on my daughter’s birth certificate? My ex-girlfriend won’t tell me whether my name was included as the father or not.

When my teenage son was born I registered him with his father’s surname. But the father disappeared, and when my son started school he used my surname and doesn’t know any different. He now needs his birth certificate to enter the local football league. Could I get a new one showing his surname to be the same as my own?

My ex-girlfriend has sent me a letter telling me that I’m probably not the father of her child. However the Child Maintenance Service is insisting that I should pay for the blood test if it turns out the child is mine, even though it was my girlfriend’s infidelity that’s called the child’s parentage into question. Is there anything I can do about this?

I am required by a court order to pay maintenance for my two children “until they respectively attain the age of 17 years or the conclusion of full-time education, whichever is the later or further order.” What is the definition of “full-time education”? Could I end up paying for them for ever?

When my wife and I split up I was ordered to pay maintenance of £250 a month for my son. I was looking forward to ceasing payments now he is 18, but my wife says I must continue since my son is now at university. Where do I stand?

I’ve recently been contacted by an ex girlfriend and told that I’m the father of her 17-year-old daughter. She’s threatened to take me to court to get 20% of my earnings and backdated payments to 1999. Her daughter isn’t in full time education to my knowledge. Do I have any financial obligations towards her?

My partner and I were never married and split up two years ago. We have a 14-year-old son, who spends most of his time with me. However his mother undertook responsibility for his health and education and takes him to school. Lately the boy has been playing truant; if the education department decides to prosecute, which of us will end up in court?

I had an arranged marriage in Pakistan three years ago. We had a baby girl, and my wife’s mother came over on a six month visa. Now my wife has vanished with her mother, who is obviously outstaying her visa; I haven’t seen the baby for three months. Is there anything I can do?

We looked after our baby grand-daughter for two years while her mother vanished abroad, but our application for a residence order was turned down and now we can only see our grand-daughter every other weekend. Is there any chance of an appeal against this decision? The barrister just told us to try to get on with the baby’s mother.

Our service is completely free and we can help you.

Ask your question now

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms