Areas of Law / Child Law

I am required by a court order to pay maintenance for my two children “until they respectively attain the age of 17 years or the conclusion of full-time education, whichever is the later or further order.” What is the definition of “full-time education”? Could I end up paying for them for ever?

Full-time education is to A-level only, so the current court order will lapse at the beginning of the term after they finish school. Your ex-wife (or the children) could apply to vary the order so that your maintenance payments will continue while they attend college or university. You may well be able to challenge this however on the basis that student loans are now available.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms