Areas of Law / Child Law

When my wife and I split up I was ordered to pay maintenance of £250 a month for my son. I was looking forward to ceasing payments now he is 18, but my wife says I must continue since my son is now at university. Where do I stand?

If your son has completed his last year at school (ie A-levels) you were only required to pay maintenance for him until the end of the summer holidays. Under CMS rules maintenance ceases at the beginning of the term after the child finishes full-time education (ie up to A-level) or reaches the age of 19, or gets a full-time job, whichever is sooner. Your son could go to court to ask you to continue paying maintenance for him through university, but given the student loan scheme he may not be successful.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms