Areas of Law / Property

I am considering buying the land on which my house is built. Could you tell me who I should write to to obtain the necessary forms, and if possible how much it will cost?

You will have to contact the owner of the freehold to find out if he wishes to sell. If he doesn’’t you may be able to force a sale under the provisions of the Leasehold Reform Act 1967, but this would probably only be worth your while if your lease has less than 60 years to run or your ground rent is currently very expensive. The cost of calculating the value alone could be prohibitive since it involves a complicated sum based on a number of criteria, for example the size of your plot and the number of years left on your lease. If you do wish to proceed see a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms