Areas of Law / Property

I put in an offer to buy a house and was told by the vendor that I would be given first refusal. Although I suggested she should take advice, she later confirmed our agreement and the price, so I forwarded the agreed deposit and signed the contract document. She later reneged on the agreement and sold the house to someone else. Do I have a case against the vendor for compensation?

Unless the woman also signed the contract you don’’t have a case. A contract to buy land (including houses etc) is different from a contract to buy or sell almost anything else in that it must be in writing and must be signed by both the seller and the buyer: verbal, or oral, contracts don’’t count for anything. You are entitled to your deposit back of course, but that’’s all.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms