Areas of Law / Property

I bought some land 40 years ago which had a disused public footpath running across it. I built a bungalow on the land, but a few years ago the council told me I had no right to block the footpath, even though it runs through my garden. They now want £450 to divert a disused footpath.

A footpath cannot be lost because it is no longer used: it remains a footpath until it is closed by an order made under statute – the type of order in fact that will be required to divert the footpath round your garden. There are cases where people have to put up with members of the public walking through their gardens, so the council are accommodating you in agreeing to divert the footpath.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms