Areas of Law / Property

Whether you are buying a property, moving house or selling your property on, for many this is one of the biggest financial decisions you can make in life, and can often be a stressful process.

The last thing you need is complicated legal jargon to add to the mix. The right expert legal support can make the whole property process quicker and easier for you.

Once you’ve got the keys to that dream property, its natural that your top priority will be to protect it. When property disputes arise, life can suddenly become stressful. Whether you are a home owner, a landlord or a tenant, we understand that property disputes can be unpleasant and highly complicated, and you need the right legal advice to guide you through the process.

Residential property law can cover a wide range of areas, including:

  • Buying or selling your home
  • Compulsory purchases
  • Deeds of Gift
  • Property Disputes
  • Part-Exchanges
  • Re-Mortgages
  • Right to Buy
  • Transfers of Equity

From home hunter queries to house-builder advice or neighbour disputes, we have wide-ranging experience in the day-to-day and the complexities of property law; so everything you need to get moving is right here. Our bank of free questions and answers can provide a wide range of legal advice with regards to residential property and your rights.

Still got a burning question?

Whether you need advice or to clarify a query -ask one of our legal advisors today. Simply write your question in the box and our lawyers will handle the rest. Simple.

Free property  legal advice at your fingertips.

Property Questions

I have a small farm. About two years ago a neighbour put up new fences round her land, but extended her boundary by about ten yards on to my property. She said the new position was the correct boundary if I checked my title deeds. She was right, but the land had been fenced in the original position for at least 40 years.

We’ve received a letter from the council about an application for planning permission to build some flats next door to our house. But they’ve already started building work, and attached the front facing wall directly to our property. I’m not sure they have the legal right to do this.

There’s a small river at the back of my house and those of four neighbours. The river is eroding the bank. We have contacted the council and the river authority but to no avail, and are told it’s a case of “riparian rights”. As leaseholders, are we responsible for carrying out repairs and maintenance on the riverbank, or would the landowner be responsible?

I live in a row of terraced houses which have a lane at the back to reach our garages. One or two neighbours park their cars in it, which means I can’t get out to the main road. I’ve had it out with the neighbours but they still park their cars there. The police say there’s nothing they can do; are there any legal steps I can take?

My husband and I own our house as tenants in common. In his will he has left me a lifetime interest in his half of the property. If he were to die and I wanted to move somewhere smaller, would I be able to sell the house?

I own a flat. The lease is for 114 years. All the residents in the block have now received a letter from the owners saying they are putting the building up for auction in April. Will the lease still be valid if new owners take over? What will be our position if the new owners want to demolish the flats and redevelop the site?

I was married for 14 years. We split up for a while and she bought a house in her sole name. When we got back together I paid the mortgage since she was at college. However we’ve now been divorced for three years and she has moved her boyfriend in. She says I’ve no claim on the house since my name is not on the deeds and there’s no proof I paid for anything.

My son is currently living in a tied cottage provided by his employer. What’s the minimum amount of notice he can be given to move out? He says he’s paid monthly, so he should be given a month, but he’s been told that other managers have been given what’s known as “garden leave” and could be told to vacate the property immediately.

When we bought our house the solicitor pointed out that the land behind (advertised as the garden) was actually owned by someone else. The house was built in 1990 and we have lived here 12 years. Can we put up a fence, or claim the land as our own? Could the owners build a house on it?

Our service is completely free and we can help you.

Ask your question now

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms