Areas of Law / Property

Whether you are buying a property, moving house or selling your property on, for many this is one of the biggest financial decisions you can make in life, and can often be a stressful process.

The last thing you need is complicated legal jargon to add to the mix. The right expert legal support can make the whole property process quicker and easier for you.

Once you’ve got the keys to that dream property, its natural that your top priority will be to protect it. When property disputes arise, life can suddenly become stressful. Whether you are a home owner, a landlord or a tenant, we understand that property disputes can be unpleasant and highly complicated, and you need the right legal advice to guide you through the process.

Residential property law can cover a wide range of areas, including:

  • Buying or selling your home
  • Compulsory purchases
  • Deeds of Gift
  • Property Disputes
  • Part-Exchanges
  • Re-Mortgages
  • Right to Buy
  • Transfers of Equity

From home hunter queries to house-builder advice or neighbour disputes, we have wide-ranging experience in the day-to-day and the complexities of property law; so everything you need to get moving is right here. Our bank of free questions and answers can provide a wide range of legal advice with regards to residential property and your rights.

Still got a burning question?

Whether you need advice or to clarify a query -ask one of our legal advisors today. Simply write your question in the box and our lawyers will handle the rest. Simple.

Free property  legal advice at your fingertips.

Property Questions

We own one of two bungalows behind a pet shop chain, which also owns a piece of land in the middle. This land is used as a toilet by customers and their pets, and also for fly tipping. The store chain say they will do something about it, but haven’t, and in the meantime the trees have grown so high I no longer have a TV signal. What can I do?

When we moved into our house the fences were just three-foot posts and rusty wire. Our neighbours were about to move, so I built a new fence on my side of the boundary. The new neighbours are now claiming that since it’s a “party” fence they own half of it. Can you advise?

My back garden adjoins a golf course. The trees immediately behind my garden are now so tall that in the summer I am deprived of light and sun for a large part of the day. The golf club doesn’t seem to be prepared to do anything about it. What are my rights?

We live in a block of flats. A management company administers the common areas and now wants to rename the block. We like the name and wonder whether they can change it. Would they, for example, have any authority to levy maintenance charges on flats with names other than those stated in the lease?

We have a number of sheds which divide our property from next door. Our neighbours have attached hanging baskets and a bird box to “their” side of one of the sheds, and we are worried that it might cause damp to come through. Are they within their rights to do this?

We bought our council house a few years ago. The property deeds say that one boundary is our responsibility, without stating exactly where the line of the legal ownership is. There are concrete posts along the boundary, which we are responsible for replacing when the need arises; can it therefore be concluded that the line along the outside of the posts is the boundary?

My brother-in-law died and the police broke down the door of his flat. His landlord is now claiming from his estate for the damage to the door and redecorating the room. He also immediately removed all my brother-in-law’s possessions. Can the landlord claim this money, and can we claim against the landlord for removing the property?

We have recently made a will leaving our house to our son, who is buying his own house. Will he have to pay capital gains tax on the rise in value of our property when the day comes? I understand that, if he’d bought our house, he would only have to pay capital gains on the difference between the purchase price and the sale price?

We bought our terraced council house 18 years ago, but two in the row are still council-owned. There’s a problem with the sewer, which has to be cleared every five months or so. The council tenants ring up and the local authority has the work done with no charge to us. If we all owned our properties would we have to share the cost of clearing the drains, or do our sewage rates cover this service?

Our service is completely free and we can help you.

Ask your question now

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms