Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

There’s a tree in a very poor condition next door. Is there anything I can do to have it removed before it falls into my garden?

The council has a statutory duty under section 23 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 to ensure that trees don’t endanger people or property. You can notify the council about any tree you think is in a dangerous condition whether on public or private land. They should make an inspection and, if they agree with you, give the owners three weeks in which to take action. Failing that the council can remove the tree and send the bill to the owner. It would probably be a good idea to discuss the issue with your neighbours before springing this on them however.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms