Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My neighbour and I share a party wall, can I force him to share the cost of repairing it?

Is this a party wall or a “party fence wall” – in other words a wall dividing your gardens? If it’’s the latter the cheapest option may be to pay for the work yourself, or even build a new wall entirely on your land unless you have a good relationship with your neighbour and he or she agrees to chip in. Under the Party Wall (etc) Act 1996 you can force your neighbours to pay their share if you serve the correct notices, but it can cause aggravation and expense and in the long run it may not be worth it. If it’s a party wall dividing buildings you may have to explore this option.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms