Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

Some tenants left owing rent arrears and unpaid bills. They also took some of the fittings. I know roughly where they live and that they are on housing benefit, but data protection prevents me from getting their exact address. Can I take them to court?

You will need their exact address to start court proceedings. Although the council cannot release information held on computer, you are entitled to inspect the electoral register, so you may be able to find your former tenants. However there’s no point taking them to court if they have no money. Report the theft to the police and improve your letting policy. Make sure you check the backgrounds of prospective tenants and take an adequate deposit to cover overdue rent. Above all, you must take action at the first sign of trouble.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms