Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I have decided to buy the freehold to my house. But my landlord has now informed me that the title deeds to the freehold have been lost, and he says he can’t do anything further.

I take it that your property isn’t registered at the Land Registry. In that case your landlord will have to do what any freehold owner who has lost the title deeds must do: apply to the Land Registry for a decision on ownership. In order to force your landlord to act you may need to make a formal application under the Leasehold Reform Act. If you’re determined to go ahead with this I suggest you ask a solicitor to deal with it, since the process is similar to buying your house all over again.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms