Areas of Law / Personal Injury

Nearly two years ago I was head butted while trying to protect a neighbour from her violent boyfriend. He was convicted of assault, and I was awarded £300. The defendant paid £50 and nothing further. The court says it’s unable to trace the defendant, and they’ve more or less asked me to find out where he is. How would I go about doing this?

Your compensation is recoverable through the Magistrates Court. If the defendant fails to pay, the court issues a summons requiring the defendant to attend court again. Ultimately the court could pass the matter to bailiffs for enforcement. If you know where the defendant is, the sooner you are likely to get your money. It’s possible you will also be able to claim from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. See a solicitor immediately, since there’s a two-year time limit.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms