Areas of Law / Employment

My partner was recently offered redundancy in writing. She got another job and was waiting for a date to be set for her redundancy when a junior member of staff left. Now the firm says she has to fill the junior member of staff’s position. This has been very stressful for her; what should she do?

It’s not quite clear whether your partner actually accepted the redundancy offer. If she did (preferably in writing) then a contract exists which her employers cannot go back on. She will be able to take up her new job and if necessary sue her former employers for her redundancy payment. If things weren’t quite so cut and dried your partner should discuss the details with a solicitor. She may be able to claim unfair dismissal if she’s forced to accept a junior position on a lower rate of pay.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms