Areas of Law / Employment

My wife left her employment three months ago, at which point she had taken no annual leave. Her employer told her that because she hadn’t taken any holidays they were forfeited. Is this right?

No. Your wife was entitled to a payment in lieu of her lost holiday. If she worked six months of the firm’s leave year, for example, she should be entitled to half her annual holiday pay. Even though she has left she can still use the firm’s grievance procedure to attempt to sort this out. If necessary she could take her case to an employment tribunal, but this must normally be done within three months. Otherwise your wife may, at this stage, have to sue her former employer for breach of contract in the County Court.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms