Areas of Law / Property

I lived with my partner for seven years until she asked me to leave. She owned the property and we shared all household expenses equally, and when I left I just took the things I had brought with me. Am I entitled to anything more?

You are entitled to a half share of any items purchased during the time you were together as long as they were intended to be jointly owned or were bought out of joint funds. If your former partner refuses to divide these items you could claim compensation via the County Court if necessary. If you paid part of the mortgage or made any substantial contribution to the property it’s possible you would have a claim to a share of the house. It would certainly be worth discussing this with a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms