Areas of Law / Property

My son and his partner bought a house in her name five years ago: at the time they intended to buy a second house in his name and rent it out. Now they have split up and the house is up for sale. If I’m not mistaken she will get the proceeds, even though they have shared all the bills. Will he get anything?

Your son should see a solicitor and if necessary commence proceedings which will entitle him to immediately register a caution against the property. This means the house is virtually unsaleable until the issue of ownership is resolved. However the threat may be sufficient to ensure an agreement is reached, which is of course a far cheaper option. Your son will have to show that the couple agreed to share the property and that he has contributed financially.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms