Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I have recently received an order from the council seeking possession of my council house. I owe just under £1,000 in rent arrears. My local advice centre says there will be a duty solicitor in court. Is this correct?

Actions for possession on the grounds of rent arrears are heard at the County Court. There is no duty solicitor at the County Court, only the Magistrates Court, although Citizens Advice Bureau workers are sometimes on hand at County Courts to give advice on matters such as this. In any event I would advise you not to leave things until the last minute: it is very important that you should consult a solicitor or advice centre about the repossession order straight away, you may be eligible for some form of legal aid.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms