Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My husband has left me and has frozen our joint account, so no direct debits or mortgage payments are being made. I’m disabled, eleven years older than my husband, and we have a 16-year-old daughter. Do I have to sell our house in order to give my husband half the equity? I don’t want to move if possible because the house has been specially adapted for me.

The divorce court can divide up the family assets and property as it thinks fit. In your case it will take into account your need to keep the house, the fact that your daughter is living with you, your age and your earning capacity. Depending on how much equity is in the property the court may decide to let you keep the house in return for less maintenance. See a solicitor immediately.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms