Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

Can my younger brother stop me from visiting my mother who is currently in a care home with dementia, if she returns to live back at her old home? He is currently living in my mother’s house, but even though I am not living there, he has recently changed the locks so I cannot visit to check for mail etc. The relationship between me and my brother was never great and has got worse recently, I am really worried that he will do everything possible to prevent me seeing her or visiting her if she does eventually return home, I am pretty sure he does not have POA..

At present I note that she is resident in a care home, it should therefore be relatively easy for you to visit. You could raise your concerns with the home and social worker. If you are not sure if there is a Power of attorney in force then you can check and raise any concerns you may have about possible financial abuse with the Office of the Public Guardian. For further guidance please contact your solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms