Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

Four months ago we bought a car on finance through a dealer. There was a problem with the engine, and the dealer paid a garage to repair it, but the problem returned within a week and the vehicle is still off the road. We’ve been advised to claim compensation from the finance company; is this correct?

You could write to the finance company and try to rescind the contract, asking for your money back plus interest paid. The HP company is unlikely to allow you to do this, but it may put pressure on the dealer to sort out the problem. Your rights depend to some extent on the age of the car and how quickly the problem occurred. It sounds as though you may be able to claim compensation from the dealer. Citizens Advice should help you with this.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms