Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My father died seven years ago. In his will he left the house to my mother, to be passed on to me after her death. Could my mother make a will of her own and leave the house to someone else, for example my brother?

It depends on the wording of the will. It’s possible a trust was set up allowing your mother to live in the house during her lifetime even though you now own the property. In that case she would not be able to leave the house to anyone else. If your father simply left the house to your mother she would have to make a will leaving the house to you for you to inherit it on her death. Otherwise you will share it with any brothers and sisters. Show a copy of your father’s will to a solicitor.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms