Areas of Law / Property

It is now nine years since I sold my house and moved to a new address. Could you tell me if I can now dispose of all the paperwork relating to the house I moved from?

The general rule is that you should hang on to paperwork relating to contracts you have entered into for six years. This relates to the limitation period after which you cannot be brought to account for any transaction you made. There is of course another rule which says you never need a document until the day after you’ve thrown it away! I can’t really imagine what paperwork you’re referring to, but there’s no need to hang on to paid bills and the like indefinitely.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms