Areas of Law / Debt matter

My son sold his car to a friend six months ago, leaving him to complete the V5 registration document, which he hasn’t done. Consequently we have received parking fines totalling nearly £300. My son told the DVLA three months later that he’d sold the vehicle and he is refusing the pay the parking fines, but the bailiffs aren’t interested. What should he do?

Your son should pay up, and sue the “friend” in the County Court for the money. I presume he didn’t get a dated receipt when he sold the car either, in which case the judge will have to decide the truth of the matter. The local authority won’t be interested in the complexities of the case: they just want payment, and since your son ignored the law on completing the V5 he’s really only got himself to blame. 

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms