Areas of Law / Child Law

My son divorced after a marriage lasting only a year. He still has contact with his daughters, but finds that they are known locally by his ex-wife’s maiden name and have been enrolled at the infant school in her name too. There has been no court application about this. Is there anything he can do?

The children’s surnames should not be changed without the written consent of the other parent, and if this is not forthcoming an application should be made to the court for permission. It’s unlikely that the court would make such an order other than in exceptional circumstances. Your son should see a solicitor immediately and if necessary make an application to the court to prevent or rectify the name change.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms