Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My granddaughter, who is 16, has always used my surname and originally this was the name on her birth certificate. However her mother had the name on the birth certificate changed to that of her partner when they got married, even though he’s not her father. Now my granddaughter wants to open a bank account, and they’re insisting on seeing her birth certificate. But she doesn’t want to open an account in that name.

The General Register Office in Southport has a department which will correct errors, and when she’s older your granddaughter may be able to get hold of her original birth certificate. In the meantime she should be able to open a bank account with other documentation – perhaps a letter from the school – showing that she uses a different name. Ask the bank what proof it requires.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms