Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My father is in his 80’s and has had a lady friend for about ten years. He went to live with her in her council house two years ago after she had a burglary. She is 92, has £30,000 in the bank and hasn’t made a will. What position would my father be in if anything were to happen to her? She has one nephew.

If the couple are living together as man and wife your father would have a claim on his partner’s estate on her death since they have lived together two years. It could be expensive to make such a claim however, and the nephew could potentially raise questions about the nature of their relationship. They should either get married or make wills. Your father should also get his name on the council tenancy agreement.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms