Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My brother’s wife left him, taking the children with her. He’d used £50,000 he received in compensation for an accident to pay off the mortgage. Will this be taken into account when their finances are dealt with? His solicitor seems to think it’s irrelevant.

The court will be mainly concerned about the welfare of the children, and if they’re with their mother it’s likely that the balance will be tipped in her favour. Unless they’re very young your brother could suggest that the children live with him, since it would appear he’s still in the matrimonial home. Otherwise the court will divide their property according to factors including their needs, incomes, earning potential and so on. If your brother is still incapacitated in some way as a result of his accident this will be taken into account too.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms