Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My mother died in 2013 leaving a will in which I was to receive £20,000 from the sale of her bungalow. However this figure was crossed out on the will, and £15,000 written in next to it with no signature. My sister has dealt with the will. Is there anything I can do about this?

You may struggle at this stage, since challenges to a will must be made within six months of the grant of probate being issued. I suggest you show the will to a solicitor; you (or the solicitor) can obtain a copy from the probate office if necessary. It’s possible that handwritten changes would invalidate the whole will, in which case your mother’s estate could be divided equally among you and your siblings. However time is against you: see a solicitor urgently.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms