Areas of Law / Property

I wish to transfer the ownership of a property which is currently in my sole name to joint ownership with my wife. Would it be sufficient to attach a simple statement to the title deeds with a witnessed signature, or should we visit a solicitor?

If your house is registered at the Land Registry (most now are) you can make the transfer easily either through a solicitor or by completing forms available from the Land Registry.  If your house is unregistered, it will have to be registered in order to make the transfer and you will probably need a solicitor’s help with this. In any case you should take advice first, since it may be preferable for you to own the house in separate shares rather than jointly for tax reasons.


What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms