Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I moved out of a housing association flat last year. Two months later they contacted me to say I had caused damage, which was untrue. They are now claiming rent arrears and money for repairs and say they will instruct solicitors. Can they sue me without proof? Will they go to the time and expense of suing me?

They can attempt to sue you, but without proof they’re unlikely to get very far. It’s good practice to take photos of rental accommodation before you move out so that you can easily counter any claims about the state you left it in. It should be fairly easy to prove or disprove claims of rent arrears since you’re likely to be able to produce bank statements. Whether they will pursue this depends to some extent on how much they think you owe.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms