Areas of Law / Debt matter

I lent a friend £1,500 to pay back at £10 a month. He still owes £1,300 and hasn’t paid for the last three months. Is there any way, such as the small claims court, that I can get him to pay me back?

It sounds as though by doing this person a favour, as in so many cases of lending money, you have lost a friend. Whether you have also lost your money depends on whether he has any, or any assets (such as a car) that could be seized; there’s no point in taking anyone to court if, at the end of the day, they can’t pay. If you think he can find £1,300 you may have success at the small claims court, but you would have to be prepared to pay out more money to enforce any judgment you were awarded.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms