Areas of Law / Employment

I have worked at a hotel for 25 years and am now catering manageress. The catering company was taken over, and it has now lost the contract. But it refuses to offer me redundancy, saying there is still a job for me. I feel if they do offer me employment it will be miles away.

If your employment contract contains a job mobility clause then the firm could probably insist that you accept a job in another part of the country. If there’s no such clause then it would have to find you a comparable job within daily travelling distance of your home. If it was unable to do this it would have to offer you a redundancy payment, which may be considerable after 25 years’ service. If your fears turn out to be justified you should see a solicitor specialising in employment law.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms