Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My friend and his wife are in the middle of a divorce. However she won’t sign the divorce papers. How long can she delay signing?

In order to start divorce proceedings your friend will already have filed a petition with the court. The court will have sent a copy to his wife and a form for her to acknowledge that she has received it. If she fails to return this within a week your friend or his solicitor can ask the court to send a bailiff to serve the documents in person. If your friend can prove the petition was served the court can proceed with the divorce. The wife doesn’t have to agree to the divorce, but it’s rarely worth defending a petition.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms