Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When my ex-husband walked out of our marriage just days after the ceremony, he said he would reimburse me some of the costs of the wedding, which ran into thousands. He never did. Could I take some kind of legal action against him?

If you were going to court to sort out your marital finances you could ask for the amount you spent on the wedding to be taken into consideration in the final reckoning. Failing that you may have a claim against your ex-husband if, for example, you booked the reception in joint names, or if he had promised to share the cost of the wedding with you from the outset. In the latter case you could argue that, acting on the promise, you had budgeted accordingly. But I don’t think you have a case if he just said he’d chip in after the event.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms