Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My elderly father gave me the deeds to his house some time ago, saying that when he died he wanted me to have the property. He has now changed his mind, and says he wants the house to be shared between his family. Do I have to return the deeds?

I’m afraid so. In any case, unless the house was actually transferred into your name your possession of the deeds meant nothing; unlike most contracts, contracts to transfer land must be in writing. However if you happen to be an only child and your mother is no longer alive you may still get the house if your father hasn’t made a will (why else would he have made the gesture of handing you the deeds?); more distant members of the family won’t inherit under intestacy laws.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms