Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My divorce has now come through and my solicitor has drawn up a consent order to divide our money and property. Although it’s been signed by all parties, my ex-husband’s solicitor won’t release it until he pays his bill. This is unlikely to prompt my ex-husband to pay up, since the order signs the house over into my name. How can I sort this out?

Get your solicitor to print out another copy of the consent order and ask your ex-husband to sign again. Although it’s preferable to have the document signed by the solicitor acting for the other party, since it shows that your ex-husband had the benefit of legal advice, it’s not essential to have the other solicitor’s signature. If your ex won’t sign again the court could ask his solicitor to produce the document in court. 

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms