Areas of Law / Property

A few years ago I built an extension to my garage to form a granny flat at the bottom of my garden. Although all utilities are on one bill the local council have registered the flat as a separate address and levy council tax on it, even though the only way of reaching it is through my garden.

The council can charge council tax on any “self contained unit”, which is described by the Valuation Office as “a building, or part of a building, which has been constructed or adapted for use as separate living accommodation”. The annexe will be given its own council tax band, but thanks to a recent change in the law, from 1st April 2014 a relative in the annexe is entitled to a 50% discount. You’re entitled to your money back if you’ve overpaid in the last three years.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms