Areas of Law / Property

My wife and I bought some land in 1986 but when I put it on the market a search at the Land Registry revealed a charge placed on it by my son in 1994. He says he contributed £1400 to the purchase price. Does he have any claim on the land?

The fact that he has been able to register a charge against the land suggests that your son has obtained a county court judgment against you for the £1400, and will be entitled to the money when the land is sold. If you know nothing about this you may be able to have the judgment set aside, and the easiest way of doing it will be to show that you didn’t owe your son any money in the first place.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms