Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

When I moved in with my partner I bought a half share of his house, paying off his mortgage and becoming tenants in common. I have now left, and wish to claim back my half share; the house is now worth double what it was then. He says he can’t afford to buy me out. Can you tell me what my position is? I do have another property, and his teenage daughter has said she wants to move in with him.

Since you weren’t married you should be able to sell the house to reclaim your share without the need to go to court. The teenager isn’t likely to figure in the equation unless it has been her “family home”, although in theory your partner could claim that he currently needs to provide a home for her.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms