Areas of Law / Public Law

What’s my legal position if someone parks their car across my driveway so that I can’t put my car away at night?

If there’s an official “dropped kerb” installed by the local authority at the end of your drive then under the provisions of the Highways Act 1980 the crossing may not be used as a parking area.  You should ask the police to tell the car’s owner to move it. There is no legal right to park anywhere on public roads except in an approved parking space, so (assuming this is a public road) the police can prosecute anyone for obstructing your right to pass and repass over it. The police could tow the vehicle away if necessary.  If one particular motorist constantly leaves his or her car blocking your driveway you could seek an injunction preventing them from doing so.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms