Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We recently changed our buildings insurance, but we now discover that under the terms of our lease we have to take out the insurance through the owner of the lease. Is this correct? You can’’t read every little detail when you buy a house.

The reason most people employ a solicitor to carry out the conveyancing work when they buy a house is to go through the paperwork so there won’’t be any nasty surprises at a later date. However, assuming that you live in a house as opposed to a flat, the law now allows leaseholders to take out their own insurance. You must give the freeholder notice of the new policy however (within 14 days, or within 14 days of a demand) in a prescribed form, a solicitor will help you with this if necessary.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms