Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

We live in a property owned by a housing association. They’ve fitted new wiring and a new kitchen and bathroom. Unfortunately my partner has been in arrears with the rent, and they’ve now told us that it’s down to us to carry out all the repairs and redecoration required after all this heavy work has been completed. Can this be right?

I would have thought that, having started the renovation of the property, the association will be obliged to finish the work. They appear to be holding a gun to your head. Check your partner’s tenancy agreement to see what it says about decoration of the property and about arrears. The housing association will have a complaints procedure you should follow, and if your complaint isn’t dealt with satisfactorily there’s also an independent Housing Ombudsman.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms