Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

We have lived on a council estate for 40 years and bought our house ten years ago. Since a new neighbour moved in a large number of people have begun using the passageway we share with next door as a short cut into the next road, is there any way to stop this?

If the property next door is still owned by the council you should have a word with your neighbour and your local housing office about the problem. The council will not want this to continue because eventually the short cut could become an established right of way. You may well be entitled to fasten either a door or a gate to the passageway and perhaps even lock it as long as you give your neighbour a key.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms