Areas of Law / Consumer Law

We booked a country house hotel for my daughter’s wedding, which promised us a tranquil, pleasant environment. But with a week to go, the place is like a builder’s yard. If it’s not made good by the wedding I wonder if I would have any redress?

The answer is almost certainly yes, but putting a figure on the compensation you’d be entitled to might be difficult. It would depend on the extent to which the building work spoiled your enjoyment of the occasion. A country house would be expected to provide a more picturesque setting than a city centre hotel; so if the price was, say 20% more than a reception at a city centre hotel you could try asking the hotel to deduct that amount from the bill. Take some pictures of the rubble in case you need evidence.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms