Areas of Law / Employment

Three years ago I was given a cheque by the company I work for for expenses. However owing to a number of unfortunate circumstances I lost the cheque, and they now refuse to issue another one. Do I have a right to claim this money at this stage?

Yes. Although they’ve issued you with a cheque they haven’t actually paid you. Even if you could find the cheque now it’s unlikely the bank would cash it: cheques that aren’t presented within six months are known as “stale”. However the drawer (the company you work for) remains liable on it for a period of six years from the date of issue. It could of course jeopardise your relationship with the company, but you’re entitled to demand a replacement and would have no difficulty getting the money via the small claims court.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms