Areas of Law / Property

There’s a tree on council property 25ft from my back door which has grown too big for the surrounding houses. The council said it would need to come down nearly three years ago, but they keep telling me there’s no money in the budget. I need to know what the legal position is to get the council to remove it.

If the tree is just putting your garden in the shade the council is probably under no obligation to remove it. If the branches overhang your property you can probably force the council to cut them back, or cut them back yourself. But if the tree is in a dangerous condition or makes the main living areas of your house constantly dark there may be steps you can take: a solicitor will advise. Check the roots are not causing any damage to your property.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms