Areas of Law / Employment

There’s a rumour going round that I’m gay, which has resulted from the fact that I share a house with another man and don’t have a girlfriend. I don’t know who started the rumour but it’s causing problems at work. Is there any way of putting a stop to it?

If you don’t know who is spreading the rumour it will be difficult to stop it. However you should discuss this with your employers, who are obliged under the Equality Act to protect you from discrimination at work. Employers can be liable for the acts of their employees and may be ordered to pay compensation if it can be shown that they failed to take reasonable steps to prevent unlawful harassment or discriminatory behaviour within the workplace. Individuals who harass may also be ordered to pay compensation.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms